STEP 1 | FIND A BRIGHT, NATURALLY LIGHTED SPOT FOR CREATING THE PERFECT FLATLAY
The perfect flatlay is ultimately dependent on your lighting situation. Set up your little photoshoot either outside or (in case you don’t live in a tropical paradise), close to your window to catch as much natural light as possible.
Tip: Break the rules and use direct sunlight for artsy shadow plays! Add a half filled glass of water or a photogenic water bottle (San Pellegrino and Aqua Panna, looking at you!) to break up the image.
* Choose natural light or indirect sunlight over dark corners
* To go for a more edgier look shoot in direct sunlight
* Take the image in badly lit surroundings
* Take the image in artificial light
STEP 2 | CHOOSE A PHOTOGENIC BACKGROUND TO CREATE THE PERFECT FLATLAY
You don’t need to own a marble table or uber-stylish wooden-panelled floors - your white bed sheets, the concrete floor in your driveway or a simple piece of fabric will do half of the work for you!
* Go fabric shopping to have an array of different background options
* Favour bright over dark, busy backgrounds
* Use a super busy background - go for neutral colours or a simple pattern
* Shoot on boring backgrounds - brown wooden tables, your average kitchen floor or dirty underground - you can do better
STEP 3 | ADD PHOTOGENIC BITS AND PIECES TO CREATE THE PERFECT FLATLAY
To create the typical, effortless flatlay look, actually quite some effort is required. After you have chosen the centerpieces of your flatlay - i.e. the Roll Up Shorts in black and our State Of Mind tee - have a look around for little, photogenic things to add such as
* Delicate jewellery from Reliquia Jewelry
* Bold magazine covers, newspaper articles or photography books | My favourite being Unconditional magazine and Akila Berjaoui’s latest publication!
* Interesting flowers - if your local supermarket doesn’t sell much besides pink tulips, a palm leaf or simple red rose will also do the trick!
* Give each item enough space to breathe
* Fill gaps with smaller pieces, i.e. flower petals
* Choose too many different colours - try to stick to 1-2 colour families for your add-ons such as gold and pink
* Leave big, empty gaps between pieces
START CREATING THE PERFECT FLATLAY NOW!
The perfect flatlay always begins with basics you love or pieces you want to show off...
The Roll Up Shorts Black
Shopping for denim shorts is always a challenge. I worked really hard on designing the right fit for you. Non-stretch denim, relaxed fit with a tighter waist and rolled up hems to create a vintage look. They have it all!
State Of Mind Tee
Inspired by the rock band tees, I created my own version of rock and roll in paradise; The Sunday Life Band tee. Made of breathable and soft lycra, designed with a relaxed fit, you can rock it tucked in or out of your jeans.